Kerala: UDF’s Anup Jacob wins Piravom bypoll
Kochi: In a major relief to Chief Minister Ommen Chandy and the ruling United Democratic Front`s (UDF), their candidate Anup Jacob won the Piravom Assembly by-election in Kerala on Wednesday.
Anup Jacob, 34, son of former minister TM Jacob, won with a margin of 12,070 votes, defeating his father`s old rival, MJ Jacob of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
Polling in the Piravom constituency took place on March 17 when a record 85.6 percent of the electorate voted.
The by-election follows the death of TM Jacob, who was the food and civil supplies minister. He was the lone legislator of his Kerala Congress-Jacob, an ally of the Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF).
With the death of T M Jacob, the UDF strength in the 140
member Assembly had gone down to 71, while in the LDF camp,
the recent resignation of Neyyatinkara MLA, Selvraj has
reduced its strength to 67.
Chandy had taken the bypoll as a referendum on the functioning of his government and put in his might to ensure that Anup Jacob wins.
With IANS inputs
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead