No change in Kerala`s stand on Mullaperiyar
Thiruvananthapuram: There is no change in
Kerala`s declared stance to construct a new protection dam at
Mullaperiyar to ensure safety of its people in downstream
areas of the existing 116 year-old dam, which has been found
unsafe, Finance Minister K M Mani said here on Tuesday.
The state budget presented by him in the assembly
yesterday had set apart Rs 50 crore for initial expense for
Addressing reporters here, he said the state planned to
build the protection dam 1,300 feet beneath the existing dam
in keeping with the state`s policy of "water for Tamil Nadu
and safety for Kerala."
The existing dam posed a serious threat to the life and
assets of lakhs of people living downstream in five districts
in the state, he said.
Tamil Nadu would continue to get the same quantity of
water as it was getting now after the construction of the new
dam, Mani said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her