Kerala vows to curb rising road accidents
Thiruvananthapuram: Authorities in Kerala will get tough to curb rising fatal road accidents in the state, Transport Minister T Radhakrishnan said Tuesday.
Addressing the assembly, Radhakrishnan said there was no need to bring in a new set of laws for this purpose.
"From now on, the authorities will be acting tough as precious lives are being lost and numerous people are getting injured in road accidents," he said.
"Licenses of those caught driving under the influence of alcohol ... can be cancelled through an executive order," he said.
The minister spoke after CPI-M legislator E.P. Jayarajan pointed out that 4,258 people were killed and 40,344 injured in road accidents in Kerala in the 2013-14 fiscal.
"The major causes of the accidents include driving under the influence of alcohol, rash driving and poor condition of roads," Jayarajan said.
He quoted a professional body as stating that roads in the state were poorly planned and there was hardly any space for parking. Pedestrians too were affected.
Radhakrishnan said the total number of registered vehicles in Kerala had crossed 8.2 million, of which 65 percent were two-wheelers.
"The growth of vehicles is mind-boggling... We will leave nothing to chance and act tough against erring drivers. And that`s one of the ways to bring down the accident rate," he said.
Unhappy with the reply, the opposition members walked out of the house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title