Kerala`s 50,000 teachers to get discounted laptops
Thiruvananthapuram: As many as 50,000 teachers in Kerala will soon be able to buy either a laptop or a netbook computer at a discounted price, according to an official.
The scheme has been initiated by IT@School, the technology arm of the state government`s general education department. Its aim is to empower schools with the latest information communication technology-enabled education, besides implementing e-governance within the education department.
Anwar Sadath, head of IT@School, Saturday said that they are acting as facilitators to help the teachers get computers at a huge discount.
"A laptop will cost Rs 17,770 and a netbook Rs 11,450. The discount comes to as much as 36-37 percent," Sadat said.
According to him, the response has been remarkable. "We expect over 50,000 orders and it would be executed on a first-come-first-serve basis," said Sadath.
Three companies - HCL, RP Infosystems and Wipro - will be supplying the laptops while the first two are contracted to supply the netbook, he added.
"Normally the laptop-netbook and its accessories come with one-year warranty. But our scheme ensures 3-year warranty, including that for the battery and power adapter, which is a unique facility provided to IT@School purchases only," said Sadath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!