Kochi port involved in shark selling: PETA
Panaji: Endangered sharks are being "killed
openly" and sold at a state government-owned port in Kerala, a
top animal rights NGO has claimed.
"The government-owned port at Kochi in Kerala bans
visitors carrying camera inside. We did an undercover
operation through spy cam and found that sharks were being
sold there," senior campaign coordinator of People For Ethical
Treatment of Animals (PETA) Nikunj Sharma told reporters here.
Although sharks are protected under the Wildlife
Protection Act of 1972 and their sale is banned, the rare fish
are killed openly at this port and sold, Sharma said.
In a ten-minute-long video, the NGO has shown how sharks
were tortured to death and bred in unhygienic condition.
Sharma quoting a survey from 1999 to 2000 said as many as
591 sharks were killed for their meat as well for liver oil in
"PETA`s investigation concluded that illegal fishing and
government`s irresponsible attitude towards the problem are
endangering sharks and other marine life," he said, expressing
grave concern over the overexploitation of fish resources.
"India is the world`s third largest producer of fish,
accounting for almost 64 lakh tones of fish share annually,"
PETA, which will be petitioning Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh with the documents on the overexploitation of fish
resources, said that commercial fishing devastates ecosystems.
"Bottom trawling, involves dragging huge and heavy nets
along the sea floor, is one of the most damaging,
unsustainable fishing practices in India," Sharma said.
"The populations of deep water life forms who are either
hauled up or crushed by the nets` wheels can take decades to
recover," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced