LDF protests move to privatise drinking water sector
Thiruvananthapuram: The Opposition LDF in Kerala has registered its strong protest against the move of the Congress-led UDF government to privatise drinking water sector with the formation of a company.
In a statement here, the LDF state committee said the government`s decision to form a company with private participation for drinking water supply was intended to make drinking water a private sector commodity and "sabotaged" the Kerala Water Supply Act passed in the Assembly in 1986.
A resolution adopted by the state committee said the policy would lead to hefty increase in water charges and disrupt the Kerala Water Authority`s scheme of free supply of water to BPL families through public taps.
The government`s proposal to introduce a regulatory authority to fix the price of water was aimed at bringing multi-national players into the water supply sector as per the policies of the Centre, the statement said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?