Mani dubs case against him ‘politically motivated’
Idukki (Ker): Unfazed by criminal charges him over his controversial speech of party eliminating its foes in the past, CPI-M Idukki district secretary M M Mani on Sunday said the party would resist the "politically motivated" moves of the UDF government to frame him in a criminal case.
Reacting to Mani`s defiant posture, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the stand of the CPI-M leader amounted to challenging the rule of law.
After avoiding media for the last few days since the police registered a case against him, an assertive Mani said after a district committee meeting of the party that he would face the case "foisted" on him legally and politically.
Mani also hit back at BJP leader and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for criticising CPI-M, picking on his speech made at Thodupuzha last week. "Modi has no moral right to criticise me....," he said.
Even as Mani assumed a strident posture, the uneasiness in the LDF came to fore with CPI state secretary Panniyan Raveendran voicing serious reservations over Mani`s utterances.
"A communist is a humanist. A communist cannot say that a list of enemies can be prepared and go on killing them one by one," the CPI leader told a television channel.
In a rejoinder to Raveendran`s remarks, Mani said the CPI need not meddle in CPI-M`s affairs.
Mani also refuted reports in a section of media that he had gone on hiding after police registered a case against him. On the notice issued by a Special Investigation Team probing the case asking him to appear before them on June 6, he said a decision would be taken after consulting legal experts.
Police had registered a case against Mani last week on charges of murder, abetment and concealing information based on his speech at Thodupuzha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'