Media bound to tell truth behind allegations: Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: Media has a responsibility to inform people the truth behind allegations and counter allegations, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said here on Monday.
"Freedom of the press is non-negotiable in democracy. But the media also have a responsibility towards the public to tell the truth behind events and allegations," he said while releasing the book `From Fourth Estate to Rubber Estate - resignation letter of a journalist` written by noted journalist Joe A Scaria.
"These days allegations are made freely through media but they are refuted by those against whom they are levelled. People have a right to know the truth and it is the responsibility of media to tell the truth...People have a right to know the truth behind everything being reported and debated in media," Chandy said, apparently referring to the handling of solar panel scam by a section of media.
"Tolerance is most significant in democracy and people should be broad-minded to accept criticism. Freedom of the press will strengthen journalism. If it is interrupted, it will affect functioning of democratic polity," he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- World's largest aircraft, Airlander 10, crashes during 2nd test flight - Watch
- Reliance Jio gets aggressive; partners Samsung, Micromax and others for free voice, data service
- Zeta eases retail payment further with NFC-enabled super tag
- UP polls: Congress main agenda is fighting corruption, not political parties: Raj Babbar
- Himachal Pradesh CM's wife to be further quizzed in PMLA case: ED to Delhi HC