Memorial of Kerala`s Communist pioneer damaged
Alappuzha: Unidentified persons damaged the bust of founder-leader of the communist movement in Kerala P Krishna Pillai and torched his memorial in the district in the wee-hours on Thursday, police said.
Pillai, founder-secretary of the Communist Party in Kerala when it was formed in 1937, died of snake-bite on August 19, 1948, while living underground in a thatched hut at Muhamma, which was later turned into a memorial.
A special team headed by K Padmakumar, IG, Central Range, has been formed to probe the incident.
The CPI (M) and CPI have jointly called a dawn-to-dusk hartal in Alappuzha district tomorrow to protest the vandalisation of the memorial, held in high esteem by the Communists in Kerala and outside.
Leader of the Opposition V S Achuthanandan and CPI(M) State secretary Pinarayi Vijayan condemned the incident and wanted government to track down and book the culprits without delay.
In a statement, CPI state secretary Pannian Raveendran said what had been vandalised was a memorial which was held in high reverence by the Communists in the country. The deplorable act appeared to be result of a conspiracy, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know