Memorial of Kerala`s Communist pioneer damaged
Alappuzha: Unidentified persons damaged the bust of founder-leader of the communist movement in Kerala P Krishna Pillai and torched his memorial in the district in the wee-hours on Thursday, police said.
Pillai, founder-secretary of the Communist Party in Kerala when it was formed in 1937, died of snake-bite on August 19, 1948, while living underground in a thatched hut at Muhamma, which was later turned into a memorial.
A special team headed by K Padmakumar, IG, Central Range, has been formed to probe the incident.
The CPI (M) and CPI have jointly called a dawn-to-dusk hartal in Alappuzha district tomorrow to protest the vandalisation of the memorial, held in high esteem by the Communists in Kerala and outside.
Leader of the Opposition V S Achuthanandan and CPI(M) State secretary Pinarayi Vijayan condemned the incident and wanted government to track down and book the culprits without delay.
In a statement, CPI state secretary Pannian Raveendran said what had been vandalised was a memorial which was held in high reverence by the Communists in the country. The deplorable act appeared to be result of a conspiracy, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened