Monsoon toll reaches 80 in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: At least 80 people lost their lives and 156 houses were completely destroyed in rain related incidents since the South West monsoon became active in the state, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said here on Wednesday.
The government has decided to provide an amount of Rs.Two lakhs each to the family of those killed and those who lost their houses, Chandy said after a cabinet meeting that discussed the damage caused by rain across the state.
A total of 4,956 houses were partially damaged and the owners would be compensated in accordance with their losses, he said.
District collectors have been instructed to take up relief works out of the total amount of Rs.178.37 crores sanctioned for flood control initiatives, he said.
The Cabinet decided to increase the women strength in police force with direct recruitment of 60 Sub-inspectors and 250 constables.
He also said Kerala Vision-2030 was accorded cabinet sanction and an expert committee would be set up to give effective recommendation for implementing the projects in the Vision.
Cabinet also sanctioned an amount of Rs.Two lakhs as hostel fee as special case to a visually handicapped K M Mani from Madikai (rpt Madkai) in Kasargod who got admission in IIT, Chennai.
`Due to his poor financial background and visual disability, IIT, Chennai, authorities have decided to bear the tuition fee. But, the hostel fees came as a stumbling block`, he said.
With matter came into the notice of the government, cabinet decided to provide the hostel fee amount`, Chandy added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?