Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims across Kerala on Wednesday celebrated Eid-ul-Azha, also called Bakr Eid, with reverence and exuberance.
People arrived at Mosques and specially erected prayer centres across the state to offer special Eid prayers.
Muslims in the state rank second with 24 per cent of the 3.20 crore population and districts of Malappuram, Kozhikode, Kochi witnessed large turnouts of the devout.
Right from the morning, Muslim men and women dressed in their best attires arrived at mosques and also at specially erected Eidgahs.
Except in Kochi, where sudden rain forced people to go indoors, people offered prayers in open Eidgahs in other towns and cities.
Muslims around the world make animal sacrifice on Eid-ul-Azha to commemorate the sacrifice offered by Prophet Ibrahim (Abrahim).
According to belief, the Allah ordered Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismail. When the blindfolded father moved the blade on his son`s throat to carry out the divine command, the Allah replaced Ismail with a goat, sparing Ibrahim the sorrow.
It is to celebrate the absolute submission of Prophet Ibrahim to the Allah and the saving of Ismail`s life that Muslims offer animal sacrifice on Eid-ul-Azha.
It coincides with the Haj pilgrimage in Mecca and the sacrificial meat is distributed after the Eid prayers among the family, friends and the needy and the poor.
Since Tuesday evening, long queues of buyers gathered outside mutton shops in the state and at some places the price surged to as high as Rs 500 per kg.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened