Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims across Kerala on Wednesday celebrated Eid-ul-Azha, also called Bakr Eid, with reverence and exuberance.
People arrived at Mosques and specially erected prayer centres across the state to offer special Eid prayers.
Muslims in the state rank second with 24 per cent of the 3.20 crore population and districts of Malappuram, Kozhikode, Kochi witnessed large turnouts of the devout.
Right from the morning, Muslim men and women dressed in their best attires arrived at mosques and also at specially erected Eidgahs.
Except in Kochi, where sudden rain forced people to go indoors, people offered prayers in open Eidgahs in other towns and cities.
Muslims around the world make animal sacrifice on Eid-ul-Azha to commemorate the sacrifice offered by Prophet Ibrahim (Abrahim).
According to belief, the Allah ordered Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismail. When the blindfolded father moved the blade on his son`s throat to carry out the divine command, the Allah replaced Ismail with a goat, sparing Ibrahim the sorrow.
It is to celebrate the absolute submission of Prophet Ibrahim to the Allah and the saving of Ismail`s life that Muslims offer animal sacrifice on Eid-ul-Azha.
It coincides with the Haj pilgrimage in Mecca and the sacrificial meat is distributed after the Eid prayers among the family, friends and the needy and the poor.
Since Tuesday evening, long queues of buyers gathered outside mutton shops in the state and at some places the price surged to as high as Rs 500 per kg.
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation - Part II
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan, Bengaluru FC confirm knockout round berths
- Puducherry polls: AINRCs first list of 21 candidates includes CM Rangasamy
- Chopper scam: Willing to come to India and face probe, says AgustaWestland middleman Christian James Michel
- Pro-Afzal event at JNU: Kanhaiya Kumar, others begin indefinite strike against punishment
- Meghalaya CM's wife, Sangma's son file nomination papers for Tura Lok Sabha bypoll