Nurses in Kerala can now wear churidar
Thiruvananthapuram: In a radical departure from over a century old dress code, female nurses in government hospitals in Kerala can now wear `churidar and overcoat` as their uniform instead of sari.
Considering the `inconvenience` of sari, the Health Department has decided to allow nurses to wear the "more convenient` churidar and over coat.
However, the traditionalists could continue to wear sari and the dress code would not be imposed on them.
Health Minister VS Shivakumar has given approval for the proposal for nurses to turn up for duty wearing churidar and overcoat from December one, Health Department sources said.
The state Government Nurses Association welcomed the decision as a progressive step.
"This has been a long-pending demand from our side. We welcome the decision," the association`s state committee member Somasekharan Nair, said.
"Nurses often find it difficult to change over to sari after coming to hospitals from their home wearing churidar and over coat. Most hospitals do not have dressing rooms. So, they have to change over to uniform by going behind the cupboards in the hospital wards," he said.
Nurses in many private hospitals in the state had already shifted from sari to churdiar.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know