Oommen Chandy sees hope for Air Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s pet project to launch Air Kerala got a lease of life after union Aviation Minister Ajit Singh stated that the 20/5 rules need not be applied for India`s domestic airlines to fly abroad.
Under the 20/5 rules, an airline keen to fly on international routes is required to have a fleet of 20 aircrafts, and should have completed five years of domestic operations. Ajit Singh, however, said Monday there is no technical reason in asking our airlines to comply with the 20/5 rules to fly abroad.
"It is simply not good for the Indian airline industry," he said.
Speaking over telephone from Nagpur, Chandy said Kerala has consistently taken up this issue with the centre and things appear to be bright with Ajit Singh`s recent statement.
"The 20/5 rules did play spoilsport to our dream project Air Kerala, and now things appear to be back on track. We had not shelved this project at all, and we will go ahead when the centre clears it," Chandy said.
Air Kerala, the state`s own airline, has been Chandy`s pet project since he became the chief minister in 2004 and then in 2011.
Chandy has all along argued that Air India Express was given relaxation in rules when it started international operations, and similar relaxation of rules can be extended to the proposed Air Kerala.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city