Opposition to tractors, computers still haunting Kerala: Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: The opposition to tractors and computers in the 1970s under the impression that jobs will be affected continues to haunt Kerala`s development, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said on Tuesday.
In the 1970s, Left parties had vehemently opposed the use of tractors in paddy fields. On numerous occasions, there were bitter struggles between farmers who tried to adopt mechanised farming methods and the working class who later emerged victorious.
Chandy told reporters after a cabinet meeting that when he was the finance minister in the 1990s, his attempt to introduce computers in one of his departments saw protests from the Left unions. On one occasion, several computers were destroyed.
"These two incidents are still fresh in the minds of many people. Even with all this, Kerala is the best state in India to invest in," he said.
Chandy said that over the years, he has been doing his best to bring in investment to the state.
Even while describing Kerala as the best state, he was critical of the fact that the Seaplane project that he launched last year has not been able to take off following protests from the fishermen community.
Chandy`s statements came a day after German Consul General in Bangalore Jorn Rohde said during a visit that all Indian states are now on a serious marketing drive to promote themselves and hence investors have a lot of options.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi