Plea for rehabilitation package for those returning from Saudi to Kerala
Malappuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Sunday sought the Centre`s help for a rehabilitation package for those returning from Saudi Arabia in the wake of a new labour policy, seeking to reserve 10 per cent jobs for locals, in that country.
Speaking to mediapersons here, Chandy said besides the rehabilitation package, the Centre should also bear the cost of the tickets for those returning from that country.
Chandy, who discussed the matter with Minister of State for External Affairs, E Ahamed, here in connection with a function, also sought the participation of banks on the issue.
Ahamed had yesterday said the Centre would take up next week the issue of a comprehensive compensation package for those returning from Saudi Arabia.
The new labour policy `Nitaqat` is being implemented in Saudi Arabia as part of localisation of jobs in the private sector.
The `Nitaqat` law makes it mandatory for local companies to hire one Saudi national for every 10 migrant workers. There has been widespread perception that the new policy will lead to denial of job opportunities for a large number of Indians, especially from Kerala, working there.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know