Plea for rehabilitation package for those returning from Saudi to Kerala
Malappuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Sunday sought the Centre`s help for a rehabilitation package for those returning from Saudi Arabia in the wake of a new labour policy, seeking to reserve 10 per cent jobs for locals, in that country.
Speaking to mediapersons here, Chandy said besides the rehabilitation package, the Centre should also bear the cost of the tickets for those returning from that country.
Chandy, who discussed the matter with Minister of State for External Affairs, E Ahamed, here in connection with a function, also sought the participation of banks on the issue.
Ahamed had yesterday said the Centre would take up next week the issue of a comprehensive compensation package for those returning from Saudi Arabia.
The new labour policy `Nitaqat` is being implemented in Saudi Arabia as part of localisation of jobs in the private sector.
The `Nitaqat` law makes it mandatory for local companies to hire one Saudi national for every 10 migrant workers. There has been widespread perception that the new policy will lead to denial of job opportunities for a large number of Indians, especially from Kerala, working there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack