Prime accused in Chandrasekharan murder case held
Kozhikode: More than a month after the murder of former CPI-M leader T.P. Chandrasekharan, Kerala Police said they have arrested prime accused TK Rajeesh from a village on the Maharashtra-Goa border.
The accused was brought to Badagara yesterday evening, where the main police investigation team is based, and his statement was recorded.
According to the police, it was Rajeesh who master-minded the murder of Chandrasekharan, a 51-year-old popular local leader in Onchiyam, who was killed May 4 while returning home on his motorcycle.
By now, the total number of people taken into custody in the case has touched 23, which includes nine activists of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
The police said it was Rajeesh who planned the murder using a gang of seven hired killers. With his arrest, the police also expect to crack a few other murder cases.
A police official said Rajeesh, after Chandrasekharan`s murder, left for Mumbai, where three Keralites provided him shelter. The police have arrested them.
Meanwhile, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said no time frame could set to solve the case.
"This is because in the past it was the party (CPI-M) which handed over the accused whenever a political crime took place. But this time, it is going to be different and the real conspirators of the crime will be rounded up," Chandy told reporters in Kannur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day