‘Smaller castes not adequately represented’
Kochi: Union Defence Minister AK Antony on Sunday said members of smaller castes are neglected and not adequately represented in top posts but efforts are being made by government to overcome the situation.
"Members from smaller caste organisations are neglected and not getting enough representation in top posts. But efforts are being made to overcome the situation through nominations and other means," he said at a function organized by Akhila Kerala Dheevara Sabha.
These members are also neglected during the assembly, corporation and zilla panchayat elections, Antony said and suggested that government accord more importance to those from such organisations.
Later, he laid the foundation stone of a memorial of K P Karuppan - poet, dramatist and social reformer who fought against untouchability and social evils and was called `Lincoln` of Kerala for steering the socially and economically backward communities to the forefront.
Chief Minister Oomen Chandy said he would take steps to officially recommend to the union government to release a stamp in the name of Karuppan.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened