‘Smaller castes not adequately represented’
Kochi: Union Defence Minister AK Antony on Sunday said members of smaller castes are neglected and not adequately represented in top posts but efforts are being made by government to overcome the situation.
"Members from smaller caste organisations are neglected and not getting enough representation in top posts. But efforts are being made to overcome the situation through nominations and other means," he said at a function organized by Akhila Kerala Dheevara Sabha.
These members are also neglected during the assembly, corporation and zilla panchayat elections, Antony said and suggested that government accord more importance to those from such organisations.
Later, he laid the foundation stone of a memorial of K P Karuppan - poet, dramatist and social reformer who fought against untouchability and social evils and was called `Lincoln` of Kerala for steering the socially and economically backward communities to the forefront.
Chief Minister Oomen Chandy said he would take steps to officially recommend to the union government to release a stamp in the name of Karuppan.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi