‘Smaller castes not adequately represented’
Kochi: Union Defence Minister AK Antony on Sunday said members of smaller castes are neglected and not adequately represented in top posts but efforts are being made by government to overcome the situation.
"Members from smaller caste organisations are neglected and not getting enough representation in top posts. But efforts are being made to overcome the situation through nominations and other means," he said at a function organized by Akhila Kerala Dheevara Sabha.
These members are also neglected during the assembly, corporation and zilla panchayat elections, Antony said and suggested that government accord more importance to those from such organisations.
Later, he laid the foundation stone of a memorial of K P Karuppan - poet, dramatist and social reformer who fought against untouchability and social evils and was called `Lincoln` of Kerala for steering the socially and economically backward communities to the forefront.
Chief Minister Oomen Chandy said he would take steps to officially recommend to the union government to release a stamp in the name of Karuppan.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport