‘Smaller castes not adequately represented’
Kochi: Union Defence Minister AK Antony on Sunday said members of smaller castes are neglected and not adequately represented in top posts but efforts are being made by government to overcome the situation.
"Members from smaller caste organisations are neglected and not getting enough representation in top posts. But efforts are being made to overcome the situation through nominations and other means," he said at a function organized by Akhila Kerala Dheevara Sabha.
These members are also neglected during the assembly, corporation and zilla panchayat elections, Antony said and suggested that government accord more importance to those from such organisations.
Later, he laid the foundation stone of a memorial of K P Karuppan - poet, dramatist and social reformer who fought against untouchability and social evils and was called `Lincoln` of Kerala for steering the socially and economically backward communities to the forefront.
Chief Minister Oomen Chandy said he would take steps to officially recommend to the union government to release a stamp in the name of Karuppan.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sugar prices soar to Rs 42/kg; FM holds inter-ministerial meeting on banning futures trading
- TCL 562 Review: Well-performing smartphone that's worth its price
- Fraud suspect wanted by China pays $31m to end NZ probe
- A massive rift is threatening Antarctic Larsen C ice shelf to collapse
- 46th day of curfew, restrictions cripple Kashmir