Suryanelli gang-rape case: Kurien not to quit
Thiruvananthapuram: Unfazed by the victim of the Suryanelli gangrape case sticking to her allegations against him, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson P J Kurien today rejected the demand for his resignation.
"No.. What is the use? The allegations raised are already a settled matter by the Supreme Court which had given a final seal on the issue," Kurien said.
He was responding to a question on whether he plans to quit the Deputy Chairperson`s post following the recent developments in the case.
"If the allegations were new and if it is at inquiry stage, then the question of resignation is relevant. But, here the charges are 17 years old and inquired three times by police, that too both under the governments of Congress-led UDF and CPI-M-led LDF," Kurien said.
The allegations were also examined and cleared by the Kerala High Court and the apex court, he said adding, "it is a closed matter".
Kurien also claimed he had full support of Congress party on the matter.
It was a "political conspiracy" by CPI-M and the motive behind raking up the issue now was Lok Sabha elections in 2014, he charged.
"CPI-M wants to use the issue during the next polls", Kurien said.
He said similar allegations had been raised earlier also against him just before the general elections.
Justifying his position in the case, Kurien said "on a matter settled by the Supreme Court, can anybody reopen it?"
The girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district of Kerala was abducted in January 1996 and transported from place to place across Kerala and sexually exploited by different persons.
The LDF and various women`s organisations have demanded Kurien`s resignation.
The state assembly was rocked yesterday on the issue with opposition LDF forcing its adjournment after government rejected its demand to re-investigate the 17-year-old case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015