Suryanelli gang-rape case: Kurien not to quit
Thiruvananthapuram: Unfazed by the victim of the Suryanelli gangrape case sticking to her allegations against him, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson P J Kurien today rejected the demand for his resignation.
"No.. What is the use? The allegations raised are already a settled matter by the Supreme Court which had given a final seal on the issue," Kurien said.
He was responding to a question on whether he plans to quit the Deputy Chairperson`s post following the recent developments in the case.
"If the allegations were new and if it is at inquiry stage, then the question of resignation is relevant. But, here the charges are 17 years old and inquired three times by police, that too both under the governments of Congress-led UDF and CPI-M-led LDF," Kurien said.
The allegations were also examined and cleared by the Kerala High Court and the apex court, he said adding, "it is a closed matter".
Kurien also claimed he had full support of Congress party on the matter.
It was a "political conspiracy" by CPI-M and the motive behind raking up the issue now was Lok Sabha elections in 2014, he charged.
"CPI-M wants to use the issue during the next polls", Kurien said.
He said similar allegations had been raised earlier also against him just before the general elections.
Justifying his position in the case, Kurien said "on a matter settled by the Supreme Court, can anybody reopen it?"
The girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district of Kerala was abducted in January 1996 and transported from place to place across Kerala and sexually exploited by different persons.
The LDF and various women`s organisations have demanded Kurien`s resignation.
The state assembly was rocked yesterday on the issue with opposition LDF forcing its adjournment after government rejected its demand to re-investigate the 17-year-old case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!