Tension continues to prevail in Kannur
Kannur: Tension continued to prevail in parts of
politically sensitive Kannur district for the third day as
IUML and CPI (M) workers clashed near Taliparamba while BJP
boycotted an all party peace meet to restore normalcy.
Houses of eight CPI M) workers and two belonging to IUML
loyalists were attacked at Pariyaram, Koran Peedika and Ezhom
in the district by workers belonging to respective parties,
Twentyfive persons were taken into custody in connection
with the attack on houses, police said.
A crude bomb was hurled on saw mill near Taliparamba where
an IUML worker was stabbed, police said adding that situation
in the locality was ``stable.``
Meanwhile, the BJP boycotted an all party meeting held at
Thalassery, arguing that the meet should be held at the
district level. They also insisted that the District Collector
take part in the meeting to restore normalcy,BJP sources said.
At Taliparamba,Congress-led UDF and its constituent IUML
also kept away from the peace meeting held there following
clashes involving CPI-M and IUML in the last two days.
The authorities have called for another round of peace
talks at Thalassery and Taliparamba tomorrow.
The trouble began after two BJP workers were killed
allegedly by a group of CPI|-M workers at New Mahe locality on
Friday. BJP observed a day long hartal yesterday to protest
Additional police forces, requisitioned from neighbouring
localities, were camping in the district to restore law and
order, police added.
The district is known for political clashes between ruling
CPI-M and the saffron outfits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM