VS for judicial probe into police action on SFI
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) veteran and leader
of Opposition in Kerala Assembly, V S Achuthanandan, today
sought a judicial probe into police action against agitating
students belonging to CPI(M) affiliate SFI in Kozhikode
Government Engineering College.
Raising the issue through a submission in the house today,
Achuthanandan said government should also dismiss from service
the Assistant Police Commissioner, K Radhakrishnan Pillai, who
he said was responsible for the incident.
Replying to the submission, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy
said the government was awaiting the report of DGP and further
action on the matter would be initiated on getting the report.
Police had fired four rounds in the air on Monday as they
said the agitators, who were protesting against the alleged
illegal admission of student Nirmal Madhavan to the college,
continued to pelt stones even after lathicharge and teargas.
At least 20 people were injured during the incident.
While the police maintain they fired only in the air, the
opposition alleges that they fired at the students.
On the question of admission of engineering student
Madhavan, Chandy said government has open mind on the issue
and government intention was only to provide facility for
Madhavan to complete his studies.
A technical committee constituted to find a solution to
the issue would be asked to suggest whether it would be
possible to transfer Madhavan to any other colleges in the
district itself or outside the district, Chandy said.
The Chief Minister had said in the Assembly yesterday that
Madhavan, who got admission in an engineering college in 2009,
could not continue his studies due to harassement and ragging
by SFI activists.
Madhavan was given admission at the Kozhikode Government
Engineering College as a special case considering an
application filed by him, Chandy had said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug