VS for judicial probe into police action on SFI
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) veteran and leader
of Opposition in Kerala Assembly, V S Achuthanandan, today
sought a judicial probe into police action against agitating
students belonging to CPI(M) affiliate SFI in Kozhikode
Government Engineering College.
Raising the issue through a submission in the house today,
Achuthanandan said government should also dismiss from service
the Assistant Police Commissioner, K Radhakrishnan Pillai, who
he said was responsible for the incident.
Replying to the submission, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy
said the government was awaiting the report of DGP and further
action on the matter would be initiated on getting the report.
Police had fired four rounds in the air on Monday as they
said the agitators, who were protesting against the alleged
illegal admission of student Nirmal Madhavan to the college,
continued to pelt stones even after lathicharge and teargas.
At least 20 people were injured during the incident.
While the police maintain they fired only in the air, the
opposition alleges that they fired at the students.
On the question of admission of engineering student
Madhavan, Chandy said government has open mind on the issue
and government intention was only to provide facility for
Madhavan to complete his studies.
A technical committee constituted to find a solution to
the issue would be asked to suggest whether it would be
possible to transfer Madhavan to any other colleges in the
district itself or outside the district, Chandy said.
The Chief Minister had said in the Assembly yesterday that
Madhavan, who got admission in an engineering college in 2009,
could not continue his studies due to harassement and ragging
by SFI activists.
Madhavan was given admission at the Kozhikode Government
Engineering College as a special case considering an
application filed by him, Chandy had said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan