Asaram`s Indore ashram gets notice for violating rules
Indore: The district administration on Tuesday issued a notice to self-styled godman Asaram Bapu`s ashram here for allegedly violating several conditions of land lease.
The notice was issued to the director of the religious centre, from where Asaram was arrested late last month by Rajasthan Police in connection with the sexual assault case filed by an inmate of his Chhindwara ashram.
The ashram at Khandwa Road had carried out illegal constructions and also encroached on the adjoining government land following which the administration has issued a notice to it, Indore Collector Aakash Tripathi told a news agency.
As per lease deed, no permanent construction can be carried out on nearly seven hectares of land allotted to the ashram in 1998 by the then Congress Government headed by Digvijay Singh on an annual lease rent of just Re 1.
The ashram authorities not only violated the lease conditions by constructing permanent structures, but they also purchased agricultural land adjoining the allotted one and illegally constructed Asaram`s two-storied bungalow along with a private swimming pool, Tripathi said.
The ashram officials have also set up a school, parking lot, playgrounds and were carrying out agricultural work on the land originally allotted for running a yoga and meditation centre and growing medicinal plants, he said.
The authorities were given seven days time to reply to the notice, the Collector said, adding the area`s tehsildar (revenue official) has been asked to take steps for the removal of illegal encroachment and constructions.
Similar notices had been issued by Khandwa and Dewas district administrations to Asaram`s ashrams situated in their jurisdiction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth