Asaram`s Indore ashram gets notice for violating rules
Indore: The district administration on Tuesday issued a notice to self-styled godman Asaram Bapu`s ashram here for allegedly violating several conditions of land lease.
The notice was issued to the director of the religious centre, from where Asaram was arrested late last month by Rajasthan Police in connection with the sexual assault case filed by an inmate of his Chhindwara ashram.
The ashram at Khandwa Road had carried out illegal constructions and also encroached on the adjoining government land following which the administration has issued a notice to it, Indore Collector Aakash Tripathi told a news agency.
As per lease deed, no permanent construction can be carried out on nearly seven hectares of land allotted to the ashram in 1998 by the then Congress Government headed by Digvijay Singh on an annual lease rent of just Re 1.
The ashram authorities not only violated the lease conditions by constructing permanent structures, but they also purchased agricultural land adjoining the allotted one and illegally constructed Asaram`s two-storied bungalow along with a private swimming pool, Tripathi said.
The ashram officials have also set up a school, parking lot, playgrounds and were carrying out agricultural work on the land originally allotted for running a yoga and meditation centre and growing medicinal plants, he said.
The authorities were given seven days time to reply to the notice, the Collector said, adding the area`s tehsildar (revenue official) has been asked to take steps for the removal of illegal encroachment and constructions.
Similar notices had been issued by Khandwa and Dewas district administrations to Asaram`s ashrams situated in their jurisdiction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!