Azad memorial rakes up differences between Cong and BJP
Bhopal: Opposition Congress and ruling BJP government in state are locked in a battle over construction of a memorial for revolutionary freedom fighter Chandrashekhar Azad at his birth place - Bhabhra in Alirajpur district.
The state Congress Committee has even sought the Centre`s intervention in the matter and its president Kantilal Bhuria met Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on May 30 in this regard.
Their ire is that with a `modern` memorial, people would not be able to connect with the place.
While Congress is clamouring to retain the hut (kutia) in which Azad was reportedly born, in its original form, the district administration went ahead with dismantling it on May 26, to pave way for a memorial to be constructed at the site.
In a letter to Chidambaram in this regard, Bhuria stressed that a strong message be convened in the country that Congress always stood for protecting and conserving the honour of great leaders.
Bhuria also informed Chidambaram that local people of Bhabhra observed a day-long bandh on May 29 demanding restoration of the hut in its original form.
"It appears that the move to dismantle Azad`s hut was taken at the behest of ruling party leaders who have vested (commercial) interest in the place," Bhuria told a news agency.
"By desecrating the memorial of Azad, the ruling BJP has dishonoured the great revolutionary leader," he said.
"People used to visit the place to pay their respects to Azad, but now with the dismantling of the very `hut`, the people would not be able to connect with it in the same way as they used to before the dismantling of the structure," Bhuria said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...