Bandh remains peaceful in MP
Bhopal: Barring few incidents of violence, the day-long bandh call given by NDA and Left to protest steep hike in the prices of petrol was by and large peaceful.
The ruling BJP in Madhya Pradesh described the bandh as "successful as people supported it because of huge hike in the prices of petrol".
Addressing a meeting at Bhawani Chowk here, state BJP president Prabhat Jha said the common man is facing lot of problems because of Rs 7.50 hike in the price of petrol.
The bandh was successful in the entire state with all markets and business establishments remaining closed.
Though essential services, educational institutions holding exams, government offices, banks and insurance companies offices were spared from the bandh, the traffic on the roads was negligible till 1500 hrs.
The wheat procurement process too was spared from the bandh as today was the last date for procuring wheat on MSP.
CPI and CPM staged dharna near Bharat Talkies in the city. CPM state secreary Badal Saroj and CPI leader Shailendra Shaili demanded rollback in the petrol price hike.
Instead of arresting the rising inflation, the government is increasing the prices of petrol, despite the fact that in the international market prices of crude oil are falling.
Meanwhile, the main Opposition Congress alleged that the bandh was sponsored by the state government and the activists of the BJP and its allied organisations forced the people to observe bandh with the support of local police and administration.
State Congress media department chairman Manak Agrawal alleged that number of petty traders, even those selling tea and samosa, were beaten by the ruling party members specially in MP Nagar area.
He further alleged that police instead of registering complaint against those indulged in violence have booked the sufferers at the behest of ruling party in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy