Bhojshala festival passes off peacefully
Dhar: The Basant Panchmi festival at
Bhojshala here passed off peacefully on Saturday with Janata Party
President Dr Subramanian Swamy stating that he would bring the
idol of goddess Waghdevi (Saraswati) presently kept in a
museum in London in 2013.
"We are committed to bring back the idol of Waghdevi from
London and the law too is in our favour. I have sent two
persons to UK, who have confirmed that the statue is in
London," Swamy, who was the chief guest of the four-day long
Bhoj memorial Basant Utsav told reporters.
"Initially we will take up the matter with British High
Commission and Ministers. If nothing materialises, then we
will file a case in this regard. Idol will be brought here for
sure," Swamy said.
`Bhojshala` is an Archaeological Survey of India`s(ASI)
protected monument, where Hindus perform puja every Tuesday
and Muslims offer Namaz every Friday.
During the Basant Panchami festival, Hindus are allowed to
perform pujas at the monument from sunrise to sunset. This
arrangement was made by the ASI following disputes between the
two communities over the issue of ownership of the monument.
Hindus feel that an idol of Waghdevi existed at the
Bhojshala, which was later taken away by the Britishers.
Muslims treat the monument as Kamal Moula Mosque.
Earlier, Swamy took part in the puja organised inside the
complex and also participated in the Shobha Yatra taken out by
the Bhoj Utsav Samiti.
He also urged the Muslims to come forward and set an
example of `brotherhood` by forgoing their claim of offering
Namaz at Bhojshala following which they would be given another
place for prayers.
The police had made elaborate arrangements and several
anti-social elements were picked up beforehand.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know