Bhojshala festival passes off peacefully
Dhar: The Basant Panchmi festival at
Bhojshala here passed off peacefully on Saturday with Janata Party
President Dr Subramanian Swamy stating that he would bring the
idol of goddess Waghdevi (Saraswati) presently kept in a
museum in London in 2013.
"We are committed to bring back the idol of Waghdevi from
London and the law too is in our favour. I have sent two
persons to UK, who have confirmed that the statue is in
London," Swamy, who was the chief guest of the four-day long
Bhoj memorial Basant Utsav told reporters.
"Initially we will take up the matter with British High
Commission and Ministers. If nothing materialises, then we
will file a case in this regard. Idol will be brought here for
sure," Swamy said.
`Bhojshala` is an Archaeological Survey of India`s(ASI)
protected monument, where Hindus perform puja every Tuesday
and Muslims offer Namaz every Friday.
During the Basant Panchami festival, Hindus are allowed to
perform pujas at the monument from sunrise to sunset. This
arrangement was made by the ASI following disputes between the
two communities over the issue of ownership of the monument.
Hindus feel that an idol of Waghdevi existed at the
Bhojshala, which was later taken away by the Britishers.
Muslims treat the monument as Kamal Moula Mosque.
Earlier, Swamy took part in the puja organised inside the
complex and also participated in the Shobha Yatra taken out by
the Bhoj Utsav Samiti.
He also urged the Muslims to come forward and set an
example of `brotherhood` by forgoing their claim of offering
Namaz at Bhojshala following which they would be given another
place for prayers.
The police had made elaborate arrangements and several
anti-social elements were picked up beforehand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH