Bhopal gas tragedy: US should extradite Anderson, says NGO
Bhopal: In the wake of arrest of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, an NGO working for the cause of victims of 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy on Saturday demanded that the US should extradite Warren Anderson, former chairman of the Union Carbide Corporation.
Anderson is the prime accused in the Bhopal gas leak case.
Abdul Jabbar, convener of Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sanghatan, said India should learn from the US government which was sticking to its guns even after giving humiliating treatment to Indian Deputy Consul General Devyani Khobragade on trivial charges.
"On the other hand, our government not only released Anderson, the prime accused in Bhopal gas case (in 1984), but also apologised for arresting him here at the time," Jabbar said, speaking at a protest organised by gas tragedy victims here.
Local court has declared Anderson as an absconder and an arrest warrant was pending against him since March 1992, he pointed out, saying that the Centre did not bring him to the country on the pretext that it would jeopardise the relations between the two countries and hit the foreign investment.
The gas tragedy victims burnt effigies of US and Indian governments at the Yaadgar-e-Shahjahani Park in old city area here in protest over Anderson issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM