BJP opposed to FDI in retail but not in other sectors: MP CM
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday said his party BJP is opposed to FDI in retail but not in other sectors.
He also asserted that his Government will not allow foreign players to enter retail trade in the BJP-ruled state.
"BJP is against FDI in retail but not in other sectors," Chouhan told reporters after arriving here from an eight-day tour of the US.
The Chief Minister was responding to a question on Union Minister and Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia`s charge that on one hand BJP is opposing FDI in retail, while on the other Chouhan is visiting US to seek foreign investment.
"He (Scindia) is possibly not being able to understand BJP`s point of view on the issue. We are opposed to FDI in retail but not in other things," Chouhan said, adding under no circumstances he will permit FDI in retail in Madhya Pradesh.
The Chief Minister clarified he had not gone to the US to seek FDI but was there on invitation of the World Bank.
Chouhan said if FDI is in the national interest, he would welcome it, but if it is against small traders then he would oppose it. "Similarly, we welcome economic reforms if they are in public interest. But if in the name of reforms, the price of diesel is raised or LPG cylinders are rationed, then we will oppose them."
The Chief Minister informed that the World Bank has assured him to consider providing cheaper loans to projects being implemented in the state under PPP mode. A team of World Bank would soon visit the state in this regard.
Chouhan said his Government would launch a dedicated website to ensure connectivity with the large number of NRIs settled in US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!