BJP opposed to FDI in retail but not in other sectors: MP CM
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday said his party BJP is opposed to FDI in retail but not in other sectors.
He also asserted that his Government will not allow foreign players to enter retail trade in the BJP-ruled state.
"BJP is against FDI in retail but not in other sectors," Chouhan told reporters after arriving here from an eight-day tour of the US.
The Chief Minister was responding to a question on Union Minister and Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia`s charge that on one hand BJP is opposing FDI in retail, while on the other Chouhan is visiting US to seek foreign investment.
"He (Scindia) is possibly not being able to understand BJP`s point of view on the issue. We are opposed to FDI in retail but not in other things," Chouhan said, adding under no circumstances he will permit FDI in retail in Madhya Pradesh.
The Chief Minister clarified he had not gone to the US to seek FDI but was there on invitation of the World Bank.
Chouhan said if FDI is in the national interest, he would welcome it, but if it is against small traders then he would oppose it. "Similarly, we welcome economic reforms if they are in public interest. But if in the name of reforms, the price of diesel is raised or LPG cylinders are rationed, then we will oppose them."
The Chief Minister informed that the World Bank has assured him to consider providing cheaper loans to projects being implemented in the state under PPP mode. A team of World Bank would soon visit the state in this regard.
Chouhan said his Government would launch a dedicated website to ensure connectivity with the large number of NRIs settled in US.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!