BJP opposed to FDI in retail but not in other sectors: MP CM
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday said his party BJP is opposed to FDI in retail but not in other sectors.
He also asserted that his Government will not allow foreign players to enter retail trade in the BJP-ruled state.
"BJP is against FDI in retail but not in other sectors," Chouhan told reporters after arriving here from an eight-day tour of the US.
The Chief Minister was responding to a question on Union Minister and Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia`s charge that on one hand BJP is opposing FDI in retail, while on the other Chouhan is visiting US to seek foreign investment.
"He (Scindia) is possibly not being able to understand BJP`s point of view on the issue. We are opposed to FDI in retail but not in other things," Chouhan said, adding under no circumstances he will permit FDI in retail in Madhya Pradesh.
The Chief Minister clarified he had not gone to the US to seek FDI but was there on invitation of the World Bank.
Chouhan said if FDI is in the national interest, he would welcome it, but if it is against small traders then he would oppose it. "Similarly, we welcome economic reforms if they are in public interest. But if in the name of reforms, the price of diesel is raised or LPG cylinders are rationed, then we will oppose them."
The Chief Minister informed that the World Bank has assured him to consider providing cheaper loans to projects being implemented in the state under PPP mode. A team of World Bank would soon visit the state in this regard.
Chouhan said his Government would launch a dedicated website to ensure connectivity with the large number of NRIs settled in US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan