Despite talks with ministers, landless poor to march to Delhi
Gwalior: Saying that the assurances given by the union ministers today were "not concrete" enough, a Gandhian organisation has decided to go ahead with its planned protest march to Delhi Wedesday to highlight the problems of the landless poor.
The organisation-- Ekta Parishad-- had given a call for the `Jan Satyagraha` march by landless poor to highlight the problems faced by them.
The Centre had appointed the Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh and Minister of State for Industry and Commerce Jyotiraditya Scindia to hold talks with the activists led by Ekta Parishad chairman P V Rajagopal on the issue.
However, after the discussion with the ministers, Rajagopal clarified that they would still go ahead with the planned march to Delhi as no concrete assurances were given to them on the issue.
He alleged that an attempt was made by the government to weaken their agitation by offering small concessions.
However, Ramesh told reporters that he had invited the agitators to New Delhi on October 11 to hold further talks with him on all the issues raised by them.
"We have assured the protestors that the government will consider all their demands sympathetically and try to fulfill them in totality," the minister said.
He also said that in the next six months, he would discuss the matter with the state governments and the agitators to find out an amicable solution to the problems.
The minister also agreed with the agitators` demand of setting up fast-track courts for settling land-related disputes and added that he would discuss the issue with the states on priority.
Ramesh also assured them that on October 11, the government would try to come out with a proper strategy and take a decision on implementing it.
Rajagopal said that even though he would not be able to attend the meeting on October 11, other representatives of the organisation would do so.
"Nearly 50,000 people will take part in the march and the number would cross one lakh by the time the protestors reach the national capital," Rajagopal claimed.
He claimed that besides people from several states in India, those from nearly 13 countries including Germany, Switzerland, Nepal, France, Canada, Finland, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Russia, USA, Sri Lanka, Senegal and Columbia are also taking part in the march, he said.
Jan Satyagraha 2012 march campaign is a non-violent walk scheduled to carry on for one month before culminating in the national capital.
Rajagopal, who met the Prime Minister last week, had said yesterday that Singh had agreed to the demand that poor be given access to land and the fundamental issue of Right to Shelter should be addressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack