FDI in retail not in villages: Jyotiraditya Scindia
Indore: Stating that FDI in retail is allowed only in cities with population of more than 10 lakh and not at villages, Union Minister of State for Industry and Commerce Jyotiraditya Scindia on Friday said BJP is creating a "negative mayajal" on FDI with Bharat Bandh.
FDI in retail, as notified by the Centre, would only enter the cities with population of more than ten lakh, Scindia said, speaking at the Indore Press Club.
In 2004, BJP had created "positive mayajal" (illusion) by harping on `Feel good factor` and India Shining, and now it is creating a "negative mayajal" on FDI with Bharat Bandh, etc, he said.
He said the saffron party, in its 1999 manifesto, had vowed to bring "100 per cent" FDI in multi-brand retail.
On Trinamool Congress`s withdrawal of support to the UPA government, Scindia said: "Every ally is important to us... We agree to disagree. Our attitude to Trinamool Congress would not change."
Only those foreign companies who are willing to invest minimum of Rs 500 crore, half of it in the back-end activities such as logistics, refrigeration, etc., would be allowed in the retail space, Scindia said.
About 80 percent of the country would not be touched by foreign retail giants because of the population criterion, he said. At the same time, the FDI in retail would give a boost to job growth, he said.
With high production of food grains, fruits and vegetables and milk, India could be a "food basket" of the world, Scindia said. Currently, forty per cent of foodgrains, fruits, vegetables go to waste, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state