Gujarat`s malnutrition rate worse than Somalia, says Katju
Bhopal: The Press Council of India Chairman Markendya Katju on Sunday lashed out against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and heaped praise on Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
Citing figures, the Press Council chairman said Gujarat`s malnutrition rate was higher than that of poor countries like Somalia.
Katju described the so-called development in Gujarat as "phoney", since it had failed to help the common man in any way.
"There is no way in which the blot on Modi`s name due to the 2002 Gujarat communal riots can be wiped out," he told reporters at a press conference.
Katju said Modi had made tall claims about development in Gujarat but pointed out that the living standards of the common people was still "abysmal".
Asked what he thought of Modi`s third successive win in assembly elections, he said that everyone knows how polls are fought and won these days in the country.
He said in sharp contrast, there was no blot on Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivjraj Singh Chouhan`s name.
The time may come when the people of Gujarat would themselves realise that the development about which Modi boasts a lot was of no use to them, he said.
He said, he met Chouhan two days ago and invited him to attend an `mushaira` (Urdu poetry meet) and the chief minister promised that he would come for only 15 minutes.
Katju said when Chouhan came, he extended his stay to 50 minutes and appreciated Urdu poetry.
"I found Chouhan to be a polite and humble person," Katju said.
He said Chouhan also promised to do all that he can for the development of Urdu in Madhya Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark