In maximum number of cases, rapists are relatives: MP minister
Indore: Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shanker Gupta on Sunday said that in maximum number of rape cases, the culprits are either relatives or those known to victims.
"As per an official survey, between 84 and 90 percent of rapes are committed by relatives or those close to the victims," Gupta told reporters here without elaborating any further.
The minister said the change in the mentality of the society was needed to curb the rising instances of crime against women.
"These figures are shocking as they showed the disturbed mentality in the society. Mere strict laws cannot prevent rapes but by changing the mentality of the society," Gupta said.
The minister demanded that all sections of society should come forward "to arrest the decline of ethics and morals".
- Rising Pune Supergiants' Mitchell Marsh ruled out of IPL with side strain
- China's manufacturing activity expands at slower pace
- 'Impose stock limit on importers to curb pulses prices'
- India, China armies vow to enhance cordial relations, maintain peace along LAC at border meet
- Save up to 20% in peak hotel rates by booking in advance