In maximum number of cases, rapists are relatives: MP minister
Indore: Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shanker Gupta on Sunday said that in maximum number of rape cases, the culprits are either relatives or those known to victims.
"As per an official survey, between 84 and 90 percent of rapes are committed by relatives or those close to the victims," Gupta told reporters here without elaborating any further.
The minister said the change in the mentality of the society was needed to curb the rising instances of crime against women.
"These figures are shocking as they showed the disturbed mentality in the society. Mere strict laws cannot prevent rapes but by changing the mentality of the society," Gupta said.
The minister demanded that all sections of society should come forward "to arrest the decline of ethics and morals".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown