MP bypolls: Cong wrests one seat from BJP
Bhopal: In a setback to BJP, Congress wrested the Bahoriband Assembly seat from the ruling party which emerged victorious in Agar and Vijayraghavgarh segments in the by-elections, results of which were announced on Monday.
Sourabh Singh, who joined Congress recently after quitting BSP, won from Bahoriband by a margin of 7,977 votes.
The BJP wrested Vijayraghavgarh from Congress as its candidate Sanjay Pathak won by a convincing margin of 53,397 votes over Congress` former Mayor Brajendra Mishra
Pathak secured 90,084 votes, while Mishra got 36,687.
Pathak had won the 2013 Assembly election from Vijaraghavgarh on a Congress ticket with a thin margin. He later joined the BJP during Lok Sabha elections following differences with senior Congress leaders.
The victory in Bahoriband may boost the morale of Congress, which has been out of power in the state since 2003.
At the seat, Sourabh bagged 76,712 votes while BJP`s Pranav Pandey got 68,735 votes in a keenly contested by-poll held on August 21.
In the run up to the election, former Congress MLA Nishith Patel from the same seat had joined BJP.
The by-poll in Bahoriband was necessitated after sitting BJP MLA Prabhat Pandey, who won the poll in 2013, died. BJP fielded his son Pranav from the seat.
Meanwhile, BJP retained the Agar Assembly seat with its candidate Gopal Parmar defeating Congress` Rajkumar Gore by a margin of 27,102 votes.
The by-poll was necessitated in Agar (Malwa) after sitting BJP MLA Manohar Untwal got elected as MP from Dewas Lok Sabha seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- JD(U) dubs separatists attending iftar at Pak High Commission as ''diplomatic failure''
- Vikram Bhatt sues Kamaal R Khan for defamation
- Hillary Clinton regains double-digit lead over Donald Trump: Poll
- Alex Hales, Jason Roy break Sachin Tendulkar-Sourav Ganguly's 18-year-old world record
- Fitness goals! See how Akshay Kumar celebrated 'International handstand day'