MP govt stokes controversy, includes Gita in school curriculum
Indore: The BJP government in Madhya Pradesh has set off a fresh controversy with its decision to include chapters from Bhagwad Gita in school curriculum, drawing accusations of saffronisation of education from the Congress.
A notification published in the state gazette earlier this month said one chapter related to the holy book would be included in the `Hindi special` subject for classes IX to XII from the academic session 2013-14.
The notification mentions that approval has also been granted for including chapters of the Hindu sacred book in `English special` subject of classes XI and XII.
The move, which the government said was aimed at imparting moral education to children, has invited criticism from main Opposition Congress.
"The BJP is trying to saffronise education in the hope of getting into the good books of the RSS," Congress spokesman Narendra Saluja said.
He demanded since people of all religions lived in the state, chapters from sacred texts like Bible, Guru Granth Sahib and Quran should also be included in the curriculum.
Notwithstanding criticism, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had led a record 50 lakh students across Madhya Pradesh in performing `Surya Namaskar` (Sun Salutation) exercise last year.
The School Education Department makes arrangements for the event, which is organised every year in the state since 2007 on the occasion of Swami Vivekanand`s birthday (January 12).
Amid opposition from Muslim organisations, the Madhya Pradesh High Chourt had ruled that performance of `Surya Namaskar` in government-run schools would not be mandatory but voluntary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy