Passenger train catches fire, no casualty
Indore: A major tragedy was averted when alert passengers pulled the emergency chain and jumped out of the Indore-Ratlam passenger train which caught fire near Palia railway station in the wee hours on Wednesday, railway official said.
There was no casualty as passengers managed to rush out of the general coach after pulling the emergency chain, G S Nayar, senior Divisional Commercial Manager (DCM), Ratlam zone of Western Railway, told agencies.
The traffic on the Akola-Ratlam was disrupted for a couple of hours in the morning, he said, adding that it was restored later on.
As the train left Palia station around 0430 hrs towards Ajnod station, the fire broke out in coach no 88793.
The passengers immediately pulled the emergency chain and jumped out, many without their luggage which was gutted in the blaze, Nayar said.
A team of railway officers led by chief safety officer (CSO) has left for the site to probe the incident, Nayar said.
Over 100 passengers were on board the coach when the fire engulfed it. As the train was running very slow since it had just departed from Palia, the passengers could stop the train, he said.
The coupling of the burning coach was disconnected from both sides to prevent spread of fire to other coaches.
Fire tenders from the district administration and GRP were rushed to the spot and they managed to control the blaze, Nayar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video