Plan panel`s definition of poverty a joke: BJP
Bhopal: Slamming the Planning Commission
over its controversial definition of poverty, the BJP has said
the Centre has underestimated the number of people living
below poverty line in the party-ruled Madhya Pradesh.
"The poverty figure is a conspiracy to exclude a large
number of poor people from the ambit of BPL category. We will
not accept it," State BJP President Prabhat Jha said.
Jha termed as a "cruel joke" on the people of the
country, the figures of Rs 32 per day income in urban areas
and Rs 26 per day in rural areas as defining lines for poverty
(the figures were revised downwards last week).
In Madhya Pradesh, the Central government has counted
only 42 lakh BPL citizens whereas more than 76 lakh people are
living below the poverty line in the state, he said.
"It is an attempt by the Centre to deprive a large
number of poor people from getting benefits they are entitled
to under various welfare programmes. We will not tolerate it,"
the BJP leader said.
The BJP will launch a nationwide agitation to expose
"the ulterior motive" of the Congress-led UPA government
behind this move, Jha asserted.
"The final contours of the protest against the
recently announced figures for defining poverty will be put
before the party`s State Executive meeting to be held at
Orchha on April 7-8," he said.
Jha said the plan panel was being used as a tool by
the Centre to deprive BPL citizens from certain facilities
they are getting at present.
The panel last week released data to show that poverty
had significantly declined between 2004-05 and 2009-10 after
it lowered the income criteria for defining poor from the
previous Rs 32 per day mark to Rs 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla