Swiss woman gang-raped in Madhya Pradesh; 20 detained
Datia (Madhya Pradesh): In another shameful incident, a Swiss female tourist was gang-raped by seven to eight persons at a forest area in Datia district of Madhya Pradesh, police said on Saturday.
The victim was on a cycling trip with her husband at the time of the incident.
Twenty people have been detained on the basis of suspicion and are being questioned in connection with the incident, DIG(Chambal range) DK Arya told a news agency.
A rape case has been registered, police said, adding that seven to eight unidentified persons were involved in the crime. No arrest has been made so far.
The incident took place at Jharia village, eight km near Datia town, at around 9 pm last night when the 39-year-old woman along with her husband was touring the region on a bicycle as part of their India tour.
The couple--who are adventure tourists-- was camping at a forest area for the night while on their way back from Orchha, home to temples of Lord Ram, and were proceeding to Agra when they were attacked. The couple were planning to visit Agra in neighbouring Uttar Pradesh to see the Taj Mahal.
The woman was allegedly gang-raped in the presence of her husband, police said.
The victim was rushed to Gwalior, about 100 km from here, and her medical tests in a hospital have confirmed rape, police sources said.
The tourists told police that their camera, Rs 10,000 in cash and a laptop were missing.
"They (the couple) were coming from Orchha on a bicycle and they decided to stay in a forest. A lot of tourists throng the area. They were beaten up by a few people who took away their laptops," said ML Dhody, a Sub-Divisional police officer.
"We are scouring the forest area in search of those involved in the crime," Datia SP CS Solanki told a news agency.
Madhya Pradesh govt slammed
Chairperson of National Commission for Women Mamta Sharma said the MP government should take the incident very seriously and demanded strictest punishment to the culprits.
Leader of Opposition in MP Assembly Ajay Singh said the incident was a "blot" on the BJP government`s name and also put the state in poor light abroad.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3