122 talukas declared drought-hit, Maha to demand package
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government in Wednesday declared 122 talukas in the state as drought-hit and would demand a financial package from the Centre to mitigate the hardships of farmers.
Talukas, which have received less than 50 per cent rainfall and where sowing is also less than 50 per cent, have been selected as drought-hit. The criteria for those talukas from the perenially drought-prone areas has been increased to 50 per cent to 75 per cent.
Officials said Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan will lead a delegation of ministers to Delhi on Friday for discussion of financial assistance with Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Friday.
The state has received 82 per cent rainfall so far and except a few districts, monsoon has been less than average. The shortage of water and fodder is serious concern. The water level in reservoirs is 52 per cent.
As many as 50 talukas in 14 districts have received less than 50 per cent rainfall and 19 talukas have seen less than 50 per cent sowing.
31 talukas in Drought Prone Area Programme (DPAP) have seen less than 75 per cent rainfall and 22 talukas have seen less than 75 per cent sowing.
So far, only parts of Vidarbha, Konkan and Marathwada have received 76 to 100 per cent rainfall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened