13/7 Mumbai blasts accused seeks transfer of probe to NIA
Mumbai: An accused arrested in connection with the 13/7 Mumbai triple blasts case has written a letter to Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, seeking that the probe be transferred to the National Investigation Agency from Maharashtra ATS.
"Accused Nadeem Sheikh has written a letter to the Union Home Minister from the jail," confirmed Nadeem`s lawyer Shahid Nadeem.
Nadeem has shot off the letter after Yasin Bhatkal, a key IM operative arrested on August 28, reportedly confessed that wrong people were arrested in connection with the 13/7 case.
Bhatkal, wanted in around 40 blast cases and carrying a reward of Rs 35 lakh, was arrested from the Indo-Nepal border along with his accomplice Asadullah Akhtar.
In the letter, Nadeem has alleged that there were many "anomalies" in the probe conducted by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and that his confessional statement was taken "forcibly".
Recently, the special MCOCA court had issued a transfer warrant to obtain the custody of Bhatkal and Asadullah Akhtar alias Tabrez in connection with the triple blasts case.
While Bhatkal and Tabrez were shown absconding among 10 others in the case, ATS had arrested Naquee Ahmed, Nadeem Shaikh, Kanwar Pathrija, Haroon Naik and Qafeel Ansari.
According to the ATS, the 30-year-old Yasin Bhatkal alias Syed Mohammed Ahmed Zarar Siddibapa along with Tabrez and absconding accused Waqas had rented a third-floor flat in Byculla`s Habib Building. There, they allegedly assembled explosives before triggering blasts at Dadar, Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House on July 13, 2011 that killed 27 people.
As per Nadeem`s confession, Bhatkal had planted a bomb at Dadar, while Waqas and Tabrez had parked two two-wheelers fitted with bombs at Zaveri Bazar and Opera House, respectively, police sources said.
Yasin and Tabrez are currently in NIA custody in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list