22 inmates break out of women remand home in Mumbai
Mumbai: Twenty-two inmates escaped from a women`s remand home at Mankhurd in eastern suburbs on Sunday, police said.
Most of these women were rescued in various raids in connection with human trafficking cases and lodged at the shelter home.
According to Govandi police, the women had planned their escape well in advance and round 4 PM quietly scaled the compound wall taking advantage of thin presence of staff given the Eid festival.
When a security guard saw them escaping, he raised an alarm, police said.
Even though the guards could intercept 13 women from breaking out, 22 inmates had already jumped off the compound wall, they said.
A case has been registered against the inmates and a search is on to trace them, police said.
This is the second such incident in the same remand home after September 10, when 17 women had managed to escape from the facility. The authorities could not trace them since they had not recorded their details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly