Accused in Mumbai gang-rape case deny charges
Mumbai: All the accused in the Shakti Mill gang-rape case in which a telephone operator was the victim on Friday denied the charges against them before the sessions court here.
"The court today completed recording of the statements of the accused under section 313 of Criminal Procedure Code," said special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.
Section 313 provides the accused person an opportunity to explain the circumstances and to refute the allegations.
Principal Sessions Judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi, who recorded the statements of the accused in an in-camera hearing, put as many as 496 questions to them.
"The accused denied all the allegations against them," Nikam later told reporters.
Police arrested Mohammed Ashfaq Sheikh, Mohamed Kasim Hafiz Sheikh alias Kasim Bangali, Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav and a minor boy for gang-rape of the 18-year-old telephone operator on July 31 last year. The minor`s case has been separated.
A journalist intern with a magazine was also gang-raped in the same premises a few days later when she had gone there with a male colleague for assignment.
Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali, Salim Ansari and Siraj Rehman are accused in this case, alongwith another minor, whose case was separated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16