Agitators throw ink at Maharashtra minister
Pune: Maharashtra cooperation minister Harshavardhan Patil Friday suffered an eye injury after some activists from Dhangar community threw ink at him at a function at Bhigwan in Indapur tehsil of Pune district.
Dhangar community leaders have launched an agitation for inclusion in scheduled tribes category and benefits of reservation.
Pune rural police said two persons were detained for interrogation after the incident.
Patil was treated at a hospital in nearby Baramati for pain in the left eye.
The incident took place when Patil stepped off the podium during the function and was accosted by protesters.
The minister, a Congress leader, later appealed to party workers who staged a protest in Indapur (his home constituency) to maintain peace and cooperate with police.
Patil said that the ink apparently contained some chemical which was causing pain and irritation in his left eye.
"I have always demanded justice for Dhangar community, and have been supporting it," he added.
He was advised to get admitted to a hospital here for further investigation to rule out major injury by the doctors who treated him at Baramati. He was on his way to Pune.
The Indapur-Baramati region has witnessed agitations by Dhangar community recently over the issue of reservation.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson of the Dhangar community said in a statement that the agitation was being carried out peacefully, and the workers should not resort to any unlawful acts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Pro-EU Londoners rebel with `Lexit` secession call
- Maiden flight of Su-30 MKI with BrahMos missile successful
- Turkey police detain 28 in raids on Erdogan foes
- AAP MLA arrested for sexual harassment, Kejriwal attacks PM with ''Emergency'' taunt
- Rahul Gandhi is in London with a special friend: Subramanian Swamy