Ajit Pawar should withdraw resignation: NCP MLAs
Mumbai: The Legislature Party of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) on Wednesday passed a resolution, asking Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar to take back his resignation.
A resolution to this effect was moved by state party president Madhukar Pichad and was adopted unanimously.
"A resolution was adopted requesting Pawar to take back his resignation," Pichad told reporters after the meeting which lasted barely 20 minutes.
Pichad, who alone spoke at the meeting, said it was decided that the sentiments of legislators would be conveyed to NCP chief Sharad Pawar and he would take a final call.
However, the party appeared to be speaking in different voices with NCP vice-president Praful Patel stating that Ajit Pawar`s resignation as Deputy CM must be accepted.
Patel added that the Deputy CM’s post in Maharashtra will be kept vacant.
NCP strongman Ajit ‘dada’ Pawar had announced his resignation over the alleged irrigation scam.
With all the 20 ministers and powerful Independents supporting Ajit Pawar, the fate of Prithviraj Chavan’s government appears uncertain despite Sharad Pawar himself having assured the Congress that the equation in Mumbai won’t be disturbed.
Ajit Pawar, meanwhile, is keeping his cards close to his chest at the moment and has not given any indication of turning rebellious. But if he were to stick to his decision of not being part of the government, it may not augur well for the Congress government and more importantly for Sharad Pawar.
As the entire episode is also being seen as a leadership tussle within the party and with Ajit, reportedly, keen on asserting his control over the state unit, the end result of the present crisis would hold far reaching consequences for the NCP as well as politics in Maharashtra.
Patel meanwhile denied reports that the resignation was a sign of rebellion within the party and signalled the possibility of a split in it.
“There is no question of division within the party. It is undisputed that Sharad Pawar leads the party,” Patel added.
The simmering tensions in the 13-year-old coalition came to the fore yesterday with the resignation of Ajit following reports of scam to the tune of thousands of crores of rupees in irrigation projects during his tenure as Water Resources minister between 1999 and 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow