Arvind Kejriwal in Mumbai: AAP supporters damage equipment at Churchgate station
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Mumbai: After his eventful Gujarat tour, Aam Aadmi Party chief Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday arrived in Mumbai on a three-day tour of Maharashtra ahead of the upcoming General Elections.
True to his style, Kejriwal took an auto-rickshaw from the domestic terminal of the Mumbai airport to travel to Andheri station.
The journey from the domestic terminal to the Andheri station traversed through AAP leader Mayank Gandhi`s constituency, who will contest the Lok Sabha polls against sitting Congress MP Gurudas Kamath.
The AAP chief then boarded the hugely-popular and city`s lifeline Mumbai local train from Andheri, to travel to Churchgate station in South Mumbai.
Chaos was reported on the train as well as both the stations. Reports said AAP supporters even damaged metal detectors and violated rules while exiting the Churchgate station.
Kejriwal was scheduled to take part in a private fund-raising meeting, after which he will hold a road show traversing the Mumbai South and Mumbai North East constituencies. AAP candidates Meera Sanyal, a former banker, and activist Medha Patkar will respectively contest from the two constituencies.
AAP, which is contesting its first Lok Sabha elections, is looking at Mumbai as its second major target after Delhi, where it formed a government for little less than two months with outside support from the Congress.
AAP hopes to raise huge funds from the country`s financial capital, and a much-needed support from the urban centers around Mumbai ahead of the national elections.
Also on target are the Maharashtra Assembly Elections due later this year.
While in Maharashtra, Kejriwal will also attend a fund-raising dinner at a luxury hotel in Nagpur tomorrow. Price tag: Rs 10,000 per person.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Turkish army killed suspected IS militants at Syria border - security sources
- Mehbooba Mufti takes oath as member of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly
- Brexit campaigner Gove bids to succeed Cameron as UK premier
- Turkey detains 13 suspects over Istanbul airport attack
- Taliban suicide bombers attack Afghan police; dozens killed