Ashok Chavan`s supporters walk out of CLP meet
Mumbai: Some MLAs loyal to former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan on Monday walked out of a meeting of the Congress Legislature Party to protest alleged "mishandling" of the Adarsh issue even as it resolved to counter the "false propaganda" unleashed against its leaders.
"There was the unanimous view that the party and government should bring facts before the people so that opponents do not get a chance to malign our leaders," state Congress president Manikrao Thakre told reporters after the meeting.
Chavan`s supporters, according to those present in the meeting, pointed out to the party brass how NCP, a constituent in the state government, had stood firmly behind its minister Sunil Tatkare despite allegations of amassing assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Thakre said Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan told the legislators that he did not expect the CBI to charge sheet his predecessor.
"It is a state government land. CBI was just investigating the case of missing Adarsh files and now it has taken over the entire case," Thakre said quoting the Chief Minister.
Replying to questions, the state Congress chief denied that Chavan supporters had walked out of the meeting.
"Former minister Abdul Sattar and MLA Nilesh Parvekar had an argument over making their speeches. Since Parvekar interrupted Sattar, a close aide of Ashok Chavan, he walked out in a huff. Later he was pacified and brought back," Thakre said.
However, sources on condition of anonymity said legislators supporting Chavan including Ramprasad Bordikar, Sunil Kedar and Abdul Sattar walked out of the meeting and did not return.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says