Azad Maidan violence: Court rejects bail to 2 accused
Mumbai: A local court Monday rejected the bail applications of two accused in custody for their alleged role in riots at Azad Maidan on August 11.
Magistrate PS Rathod declined to grant the relief to Salim Chaukia and Faisal Hussain who are accused of snatching a gun from police and torching a media van respectively when the mob, attending the rally in South Mumbai to condemn alleged attacks on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar, turned violent.
A sessions court had last week granted bail to 14 accused who were arrested for their alleged role in the riots.
Five of the 63 persons were earlier discharged after police found that there was no case against them.
Two youths were killed and 52 people, including 44 policemen, injured on August 11 when the protesters attending the rally went on the rampage, attacking police, media persons and torching vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what