Bhandara rape case: NCP demands death for accused
New Delhi: NCP Thursday demanded death sentence for the rapists of three minor sisters in Maharashtra as it pushed for expeditious passage of the bill on crime against women.
"It is unacceptable. All of us have to hang our heads in shame...Is there anything short of capital punishment which should be given to them," Heavy Industries Minister and NCP leader Praful Patel told reporters outside Parliament House.
Patel was referring to the rape-cum-murder of three minor sisters in Bhandara district of Maharashtra a couple of days ago.
Responding to questions on differences among political parties on certain provisions of the ordinance which seeks to enhance punishment for crime against women, Patel said strong laws were required to deal with the problem.
"It has to be with consensus...After what has happened in Delhi, the nation has awakened to this new reality," he said.
When asked about reservations being expressed by political parties on provisions of the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance promulgated earlier this month, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said views of various quarters would be incorporated when a fresh bill replaces the ordinance.
"I can`t understand why people try to confuse issues. Ordinance is an ordinance. It has to be replaced by a bill in Parliament...It (the bill) will perhaps have additionalities that public minded persons, activists, political parties believe need to be included," he said, adding modifications to the existing provisions can also be made.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui