Bribery case against Income Tax officer
Nagpur: The Central Bureau of Investigation has registered a case against an Income Tax Officer from Buldana district of Maharashtra for allegedly seeking a bribe of Rs 75 lakh from an assessed.
The complainant runs a hospital in Khamgaon in Buldhana district. According to him, on September 10, an IT team including H R Nanoti conducted a survey of the hospital and his residence, and took away some documents without preparing any panch-nama (spot inspection report).
Nanoti allegedly told the complainant that there was a pending tax liability against him, ranging from Rs 1 crore to Rs 4 crore, but the matter could be sorted out if he paid Rs 75 lakh bribe to Nanoti and other IT officers.
Otherwise, the officer allegedly threatened, the hospital would be sealed and criminal proceedings initiated, the complainant said.
CBI investigators recorded a conversation where Nanoti scaled down his bribe demand to Rs 20 lakh. The CBI also established the role of Rajendra K Jaiswal, a liquor merchant from Akola, who allegedly acted as a middleman for Nanoti.
A team led by Deputy Superintendent, CBI, Nagpur, Vijay Kumar today searched the office and houses of Nanoti and Jaiswal at Akola and seized several documents, the Central agency said in a statement here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened