Bribery case against Income Tax officer
Nagpur: The Central Bureau of Investigation has registered a case against an Income Tax Officer from Buldana district of Maharashtra for allegedly seeking a bribe of Rs 75 lakh from an assessed.
The complainant runs a hospital in Khamgaon in Buldhana district. According to him, on September 10, an IT team including H R Nanoti conducted a survey of the hospital and his residence, and took away some documents without preparing any panch-nama (spot inspection report).
Nanoti allegedly told the complainant that there was a pending tax liability against him, ranging from Rs 1 crore to Rs 4 crore, but the matter could be sorted out if he paid Rs 75 lakh bribe to Nanoti and other IT officers.
Otherwise, the officer allegedly threatened, the hospital would be sealed and criminal proceedings initiated, the complainant said.
CBI investigators recorded a conversation where Nanoti scaled down his bribe demand to Rs 20 lakh. The CBI also established the role of Rajendra K Jaiswal, a liquor merchant from Akola, who allegedly acted as a middleman for Nanoti.
A team led by Deputy Superintendent, CBI, Nagpur, Vijay Kumar today searched the office and houses of Nanoti and Jaiswal at Akola and seized several documents, the Central agency said in a statement here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery