Bribery case against Income Tax officer
Nagpur: The Central Bureau of Investigation has registered a case against an Income Tax Officer from Buldana district of Maharashtra for allegedly seeking a bribe of Rs 75 lakh from an assessed.
The complainant runs a hospital in Khamgaon in Buldhana district. According to him, on September 10, an IT team including H R Nanoti conducted a survey of the hospital and his residence, and took away some documents without preparing any panch-nama (spot inspection report).
Nanoti allegedly told the complainant that there was a pending tax liability against him, ranging from Rs 1 crore to Rs 4 crore, but the matter could be sorted out if he paid Rs 75 lakh bribe to Nanoti and other IT officers.
Otherwise, the officer allegedly threatened, the hospital would be sealed and criminal proceedings initiated, the complainant said.
CBI investigators recorded a conversation where Nanoti scaled down his bribe demand to Rs 20 lakh. The CBI also established the role of Rajendra K Jaiswal, a liquor merchant from Akola, who allegedly acted as a middleman for Nanoti.
A team led by Deputy Superintendent, CBI, Nagpur, Vijay Kumar today searched the office and houses of Nanoti and Jaiswal at Akola and seized several documents, the Central agency said in a statement here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report