Bus mishap in Maharashtra, at least 27 killed
Mumbai: At least 27 people were killed and 26 others injured when a stationery private mini-bus was rammed from the rear by a tempo on the Mumbai-Pune highway near Khalapur in the wee hours on Monday.
According to reports, eleven women and four children are among those who have died in the mishap.
According to the state highway police control, the accident occurred shortly after midnight when the ill-fated bus had halted for rectifying some technical problem.
Suddenly, a speeding tempo rammed it from the rear, instantaneously killing many of the occupants who were sleeping in the bus at that hour.
The bus, carrying members of a marriage party from Ghatkopar suburb of northeast Mumbai, was returning to Pune when the gruesome accident occurred near Khalapur village, officials said.
The critically injured passengers have been rushed to hospitals in Mumbai and Thane.
With Agency Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'