Bus mishap in Maharashtra, at least 27 killed
Mumbai: At least 27 people were killed and 26 others injured when a stationery private mini-bus was rammed from the rear by a tempo on the Mumbai-Pune highway near Khalapur in the wee hours on Monday.
According to reports, eleven women and four children are among those who have died in the mishap.
According to the state highway police control, the accident occurred shortly after midnight when the ill-fated bus had halted for rectifying some technical problem.
Suddenly, a speeding tempo rammed it from the rear, instantaneously killing many of the occupants who were sleeping in the bus at that hour.
The bus, carrying members of a marriage party from Ghatkopar suburb of northeast Mumbai, was returning to Pune when the gruesome accident occurred near Khalapur village, officials said.
The critically injured passengers have been rushed to hospitals in Mumbai and Thane.
With Agency Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs