CBI arrests female Income Tax official for accepting bribes
Mumbai: A female Income Tax official has been arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for allegedly accepting bribe of Rs 6 lakh for not scrutinising income tax returns of a private firm.
The CBI`s anti-corruption bureau arrested MM Chouhan, Income Tax Officer MM Chouhan of Thane for demanding Rs 6 lakh from a complainant for avoiding scrutiny of income tax returns of the complainant`s firm, CBI said in a statement here.
"In September, the accused had demanded Rs 2.50 lakh bribe from the complainant which she later increased to Rs 6 lakh. She (the accused) told the complainant if the bribe amount is not paid immediately, a survey will be conducted on his firm," the press statement said.
After the complainant approached CBI, a trap was laid and she was caught red handed accepting her first bribe of Rs 1.50 lakh. "The remaining Rs 4.50 lakh was to be paid by the complainant after a week," the statement said.
Searches were conducted at the office and residence of the accused during which incriminating documents pertaining to the case and others relating to investments made by the accused were seized.
Chouhan was produced before a special CBI court which remanded her to CBI custody till November 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued