CBI arrests female Income Tax official for accepting bribes
Mumbai: A female Income Tax official has been arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for allegedly accepting bribe of Rs 6 lakh for not scrutinising income tax returns of a private firm.
The CBI`s anti-corruption bureau arrested MM Chouhan, Income Tax Officer MM Chouhan of Thane for demanding Rs 6 lakh from a complainant for avoiding scrutiny of income tax returns of the complainant`s firm, CBI said in a statement here.
"In September, the accused had demanded Rs 2.50 lakh bribe from the complainant which she later increased to Rs 6 lakh. She (the accused) told the complainant if the bribe amount is not paid immediately, a survey will be conducted on his firm," the press statement said.
After the complainant approached CBI, a trap was laid and she was caught red handed accepting her first bribe of Rs 1.50 lakh. "The remaining Rs 4.50 lakh was to be paid by the complainant after a week," the statement said.
Searches were conducted at the office and residence of the accused during which incriminating documents pertaining to the case and others relating to investments made by the accused were seized.
Chouhan was produced before a special CBI court which remanded her to CBI custody till November 3.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation