CBI arrests female Income Tax official for accepting bribes
Mumbai: A female Income Tax official has been arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for allegedly accepting bribe of Rs 6 lakh for not scrutinising income tax returns of a private firm.
The CBI`s anti-corruption bureau arrested MM Chouhan, Income Tax Officer MM Chouhan of Thane for demanding Rs 6 lakh from a complainant for avoiding scrutiny of income tax returns of the complainant`s firm, CBI said in a statement here.
"In September, the accused had demanded Rs 2.50 lakh bribe from the complainant which she later increased to Rs 6 lakh. She (the accused) told the complainant if the bribe amount is not paid immediately, a survey will be conducted on his firm," the press statement said.
After the complainant approached CBI, a trap was laid and she was caught red handed accepting her first bribe of Rs 1.50 lakh. "The remaining Rs 4.50 lakh was to be paid by the complainant after a week," the statement said.
Searches were conducted at the office and residence of the accused during which incriminating documents pertaining to the case and others relating to investments made by the accused were seized.
Chouhan was produced before a special CBI court which remanded her to CBI custody till November 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH