Chief Justice laments lack of suitable candidates
Thane: Bombay High Court Chief Justice Mohit Shah has expressed concern over lack of suitable candidates for post of judges for various courts in the state.
Addressing the state conference of the Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa here yesterday, Justice Shah urged the Bar Council to conduct certain courses for training of candidates for the posts of judges.
If there are no sufficient judges, the system and judgement will be affected and there will be pendency, he said.
As compared to other states where there were 13-15 judges per ten lakhs, the figure was 18 in Maharashtra.
He said they were facing the problem of filling existing vacancies of judges as there were no competent lawyers for the post.
He said that in 2010 when they advertised for 100 judges, they were able to get as many. In 2011, when they advertised for 100 judges, they got just 41 and in 2012 when they advertised for 159 judges they were able to recruit 55 judges.
The Bar Council should conduct a drive to facilitate proper candidates and some training classes for them, he said.
The situation was not good for recruitment of district judges also, he said.
Against 29 vacancies, we could get only two district judges, he said.
The Chief Justice also said that proceedings in the High Court will remain in English only and asked the judges at the district level to write fifty percent of the judgements in Marathi and the balance in English.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!