Urine remark: Maharashtra opposition MLAs stage walkout
Mumbai: In yet another indication that the controversy over Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar’s urine remark is not going to die down soon, the Opposition MLAs on Monday staged a walkout of the State Legislative Assembly demanding immediate resignation of the NCP leader.
According to reports, Opposition MLAs staged a walkout during Question Hour seeking Ajit Pawar’s resignation and pressed for a discussion on the issue when the House convened after a week.
As soon as the House assembled after a recess, Opposition legislators Girish Bapat, Sudhir Mungantiwar and Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse demanded that they be allowed to speak on the matter.
However, Speaker Dilip Walse Patil said he would allow the issue to be raised only after the Question Hour.
Protesting the Chair`s ruling, the Opposition members walked out of the House.
Amid the unrelenting Opposition clamour for his ouster over his controversial remark on drought, Ajit Pawar on Sunday sat on a day-long `aatma-klesh` (penance) fast to repent his derogatory comment on Maharashtra drought situation.
Ajit Pawar sat on a day-long fast near the ‘samadhi’ of Maharashtra leader Yeshwantrao Chavan in Karad of Sangli district.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik jumped in Ajit Pawar`s defence saying, “He accepted his mistake with a big heart. He is sensitive, so he felt the pain."
Meanwhile, reacting to Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister’s one day fast, BJP leader Balbir Punj said that “if Ajit Pawar was really feeling guilty he should have resigned.”
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Shiv Sena called it an attempt by Pawar to whitewash his "disgusting and rude" attitude.
Farmer advocacy group Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS), which works for the cause of farmers in Vidarbha region, called the fast a hoax.
"Ajit Pawar is directly responsible for the multi-crore irrigation scam, due to which over 10000 farmers have lost their lives. His real atonement will be his criminal prosecution," said VJAS president Kishor Tiwari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- Juergen Klopp disappointed as Liverpool haunted by familiar failings
- Know how much you have to exactly pay for cancelling confirmed Rail e-tickets
- India pivotal power, can tilt Asia the way it wants: MJ Akbar
- Jat association AIJASS warns of fresh agitation
- Indian cargo ship heading for Yemen sinks off Oman: Reports